Friday, July 2, 2010

Key To My Heart

I love old keys.


I don't know why, but I love the shape of them, the history behind them, their patina.  It is one of several things that I collect.  I had rationalized that they are small and don't take up much space so it's okay to hang on to them.  They fit quite nicely in my old 'Chock Full O' Nuts' coffee tin.

One day I realized that my tin was 'chock full' and I really should do something with these, so I sat down and made myself a necklace, with a nice big skeleton key and a heart.  If there is one thing I like more than keys it would be vintage jewelry, so I incorporated an old heart from one piece and a big chunky chain from another and here are the results.  I made several more of these, gave them to friends, sold them in boutiques and then kind of forgot about them.


Now, when I say I love vintage jewelry I'm not kidding.  I have old jewelry boxes stacked and drawers full of amazing things, some of them in mint condition and others just bits and pieces.  Again, I rationalized, they're so small and don't take up much space but... six jewelry boxes, ten wall hooks several tins and a plastic rolling cart later, I came to the conclusion.  "My name is Karen and I'm addicted to jewelry."  Rather than enroll in a 12-step program to cure my addiction, I was once again inspired to create.


Looking through all these bits and pieces, I went beyond the keys to making more elaborate necklaces.  My darling family bought me all the equipment I would need to create amazing jewelry and I started with great gusto, sold a few pieces and then lost steam again.  I was suffering from chronic pain and handling all the fine work was just too difficult.

So, why am I telling you all this?  I am going to start selling my jewelry again.  Starting with the necklaces I have already created, I will be offering them for sale, beginning next week.  I have to fine-tune a few things here and there, take pictures and get them posted, but here is a sneak peek at some of my creations.


I can't wait until my 'babies' are ready and 'on the shelf'.


Stay posted and I will let you know when my collection is launched.
So put away your pennies and get ready to shop!

2 comments:

  1. Good grief Karen - is there no end to the depth of your talent. You never cease to amaze me!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. They look great.. Can't wait to see more

    ReplyDelete