Monday, November 7, 2011

Choosing Hope

I don't know if you would call it Murphy's Law or just 'life', but as soon as I set out to bravely list the 1000 things I'm grateful for, I encounter more pain in a week than I have in a long time.  

Very little of this has been my own pain, but the pain of those around me who I care for deeply.  If you are dealing with severe financial stress, the threat of homelessness, the death of a loved one, the pain of betrayal or the heaviness of depression, then you know the pain of those near and dear to me.  

At times like these, it becomes almost more than we can bear.  So, it seems very Pollyanna to list the small, daily blessings when faced with these hardcore realities.  But, I know that if I fail to acknowledge life's little treasures, the hardships that I face become heavier.

The subject of hope has come up a few times this week and the committed act of choosing hope over hopelessness.  Well, it appears as though my sister-in-law Nadine is on the same page, since she chose this topic for her blog post today.  She shared so openly and candidly that I thought I would pass along her words to you.



"I guess the choice is, you can live safely without hope and protect yourself from the chance of getting hurt but the exchange is that life is never what it could be, you’ve accepted the lowest common denominator for your life or that of your family. Or you choose hope and faith, put yourself at risk of getting let down again and again but you keep the door open to possibilities."


So, in the spirit of hope, here are the treasures I've gleaned from today, some of them little and some of them big.

#18 friendship - I couldn't survive without this!

#19 my parents - always there when I need them

#20 a better-tasting gluten free bread (I know, lame compared to the others, but so much yummier than the alternative!)

#21  hope - not because of, but in spite of the circumstances

Here's to hope!  

Read the rest of Nadine's post Choosing Hope.  Your heart will be encouraged.

   God, the one and only—
      I'll wait as long as he says.
   Everything I hope for comes from him,
      so why not?
   He's solid rock under my feet,
      breathing room for my soul,
   An impregnable castle:
      I'm set for life.  

Ps 62:5-6 (MSG)


2 comments:

  1. Fantastic post!
    I love that you are choosing the 1000 gifts perspective. You are modeling perseverance in such a great way. So proud of you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. PS - I really like the new look.

    ReplyDelete