Thursday, June 3, 2010

Personal Heroes - Chapter 1

Who are your heroes?  Are they political figures, sports stars, television personalities?  While I admire many people in these arenas (and scratch my head over the popularity of others), my heroes are less well known.  They are the 'unsung heroes' around us.  Over the next several weeks, I want to introduce you to some people who are my personal heroes.  You will find out they are ordinary people, like you and me, but they are making a difference with their lives.

I would like to introduce you to Randy & Nadine.  I picked them today because they are my brother-in-law and sister-in-law and today is their 21st wedding anniversary.  This is my gift to them!


As they started their life together 21 years ago, they had no idea of the challenges that lay ahead for them and their family.  A year and a half after they were married, they gave birth to a beautiful baby girl, Megan, followed shortly by their handsome boy Josh.  They dealt with the challenges of living on a ranch and raising children and several years later welcomed another beautiful boy, Caleb, into the family.  It became apparent early on, that something was different with this sweet little boy.  He didn't respond like they felt he should and his development was delayed.


After many years of struggling to find answers they received a diagnosis they did not want to hear.  Caleb has autism.   I have known many people who have children or loved ones with challenges.  But I have never met a family that has risen to the test of raising such a special child, like they have.  Whenever I am around them, I am touched by the patience and tenderness that they show.  I know there are times when they feel unequipped for the task, but it is beautiful to see a family united in caring for someone with so many special needs.

This extends beyond Randy and Nadine to their two other incredible children.  Josh is a big brother with a big heart.  He shared a room with Caleb for years and treats his little brother with tenderness and respect.  Megan is a lovely young lady whose love for horses is second only to the love she has for her family.  She is always proud to show off her little brother with the latest pictures she has taken (she took the beautiful black and white picture).

A couple years ago they welcomed one more member into the family.  His name is Kane and he is a service dog.  He has the sweetest disposition and is Caleb's constant companion.  He is my # 1 canine hero!

You can see why I picked this incredible family and why I am proud to be related to them.  They exemplify God's love in action.  They are my heroes.

"Trust steadily in God, hope unswervingly, love extravagantly. And the best of the three is love."
1 Corinthians 13:13

12 comments:

  1. I have been reading your blog since you linked it, and I have loved every post. This one especially touched my heart.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love, love, love this family story. Having a child with special needs I can only hope that my son's older brother shows such love as this family has shown. You are truly blessed to have such a wonderful hero in your brother and his family.
    Blessings!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Karen .. I totally agree with all you said about Randy, Nadine and the kids. They certainly are a very special family with an amazing bond and love for eachother!

    ReplyDelete
  4. They encourage me to be a more patient mom!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Having walked with them through this journey with Caleb, I can echo pretty well everything you wrote, Karen! They are really an amazing family, and what makes them true heroes is that they sincerely have no idea what an example of a deeply committed Christian couple and family they are to so many of us.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I know that a key to their survival has been their incredible friends and the support they give. Thanks for being one of those friends!

    ReplyDelete
  7. **sniff** beautiful. simply beautiful.

    today my goal will be to love extravagantly

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the goal of loving extravagantly...wouldn't it be a better world if we all did?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great job Karen...thanks for honouring Randy, Nadine, Megan & Josh...oh, and Kane. (:

    ReplyDelete
  10. wow Karen, thanks!!!!... you've blown me away here!!!... there are a few things that I've/we've learned in our Journey with Caleb...

    -he truly is a Special Boy and God has taught us lessons that I don't think we would have learned if he didn't have the challenges that he does...

    -I've heard it said many times over the years, "it takes a Village to raise a child" - that statement is even more true when it comes to raising a child with Special Needs - we really are blessed - we have AMAZING family & friends that are Journeying with us - we really couldn't/can't do it with out all of you!!!!...

    -we're also learning to live one day at a time - easier said then done but we're definitely on the road to discovering this...

    -one of the other things we've learned: everyone has a story - everyone has their own "cross to bare"... our Journey has it's challenges but we also realize that everyone does - we're all at different stages in our Journey... I look at the challenges that you guys have had/are having and I'm AMAZED!!!!... I look at your sister and her family and I'm challenged by their example of unconditional love as they've chosen to expand their family in-spite of the know challenges...WOW!!!!...

    We're surrounded by HEROS!!!!...

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yes, yes and yes! I love the extraordinary stories of everyday people.

    ReplyDelete
  12. The whole Mitchell family is extraordinary! Plus Randy can bbq a chicken like nobody's business! We love them all very much.

    ReplyDelete