Monday, May 24, 2010

Farewell to a Friend

I have been struggling with what to say today.  This morning I got a call from my mom to tell me that a dear friend had died.  Cindy had been ill for a very extended time and confined to a hospital bed.  Sometimes she would respond to visitors and at other times there was nothing but a blank stare.  The last time I saw her she smiled warmly when I came in the room and sang along with me.

Throughout her illness her beautiful children have been without the presence of a loving mother in their home.  They have done their very best to care for each other and 'keep the faith'.  We will never know how difficult this has been for them.  Cindy's courageous mom is in poor health herself and I cannot imagine the grief she bears, losing another child.

After talking to Pam on the phone today, I thought I would share with you the things I loved the most about my friend and the times we spent together, before kids, before marriage, before life became very complicated!

- her sense of humor  - she was the queen of practical jokes and spent a small fortune on Charmin to TP people's houses - my father was NOT amused

- her gift of music - she played the piano beautifully and loved music!

- her generosity

- her smile - killer!

- her M&M cookies - yum!  I need to make some today.

- her sense of adventure - we traveled from Canada to Central America together, and we were 'cohorts in crime'


I chose this grainy old picture of us for several reasons (I'm in the pink and Cindy is in black beside me). I love to remember the fun we had having dinner on top of the CN Tower in Toronto. We are seated with our youth pastor Dennis and his beautiful wife Lynda. Oh, how we tormented those two. I know we look sweet and innocent in the picture, but it is by God's grace alone that Dennis and Lynda still love us!

Ultimately, it is God's grace that I am dwelling on most today. I knew Cindy well enough to know that she was talented and beautiful, but also complicated and flawed (just like me!)

It is comforting and precious beyond words to know that today, her suffering is over, her body is released from its terrible bondage and she is resting at the feet of Jesus.

Cindy, you are loved. You will be missed. I will see you soon.


"So we're not giving up. How could we! Even though on the outside it often looks like things are falling apart on us, on the inside, where God is making new life, not a day goes by without his unfolding grace. These hard times are small potatoes compared to the coming good times, the lavish celebration prepared for us. There's far more here than meets the eye. The things we see now are here today, gone tomorrow. But the things we can't see now will last forever."
2 Corinthians 4:16-18 (The Message)

5 comments:

  1. Aunt Karen... This was very well done... Thank you for sharing this. Love ya kimmy

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very touching to see how you remembered your friend, she was obviously very dear to you. Brought tears to my eyes and made me think of my mom...the scripture is one that helps me press on daily. Love ya! ~Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bonnie,
    Your mom was such a beautiful and gracious lady! You must miss her dearly. Thanks for your comments. Love you.

    ReplyDelete