Monday, July 19, 2010

You Can't Tell A Book By It's Cover!

I've been looking for a good book to read.  It's summer and there are few things more relaxing than sitting in a big, comfy chair, reclining at the beach or lying on a hammock with a good book.


I love to read, but most of the year  it's hard to squeeze in time for indulgent reading - that is, reading that serves no other purpose than entertainment and escape.

I make time to read the Scriptures - they nourish my spirit and I can't survive without them.  I also make a point of reading books and articles that will educate.  But reading, just to escape, sometimes gets lost at the bottom of my 'to do' list.

Summer seems to be the one time of year that I really find time to read for sheer pleasure.   Lately, I find it frustrating, perusing the shelves in the library or the bookstore and guessing whether or not a novel is worth picking up based on the cover and flyleaf.  I don't want to waste my money or time on a lousy book.

So, I'm asking your advice.  What have you been reading?  Tell me about your favorite books and why you like them.

I'll show you what's been on my nightstand lately.

Cultivating Delight - A Natural History of My Garden by Diane Ackerman (Harper Collins)
This is a beautifully written book.  Diane paints a colorful literary picture of her garden, throughout the four seasons, with well-thought personal insights and literary quotes.

 
"Nobody sees a flower really - it is  so small it takes time - and to see takes time, like to have a friend takes time."  Georgia O'Keefe

Sarah's Key by Tatiana de Rosnay (St. Martins Griffin)
A compelling fictional story of the atrocities of World War II in the heart of Paris and ultimately, the triumph of truth and the human spirit.  You will not be able to put this book down!

The Friday Night Knitting Club by Kate Jacobs (Berkley Books)
I have just begun reading this book, but I'm already drawn into the world of Walker and Daughter, a New York yarn shop where women meet to knit, talk and share secrets.  I think by the time I'm finished I'll be hunting for a pair of knitting needles!

If you have never read the following classics, take the time to read them.  They are classic for a reason!

Alice's Adventures In Wonderland by Lewis Carroll
Not just for children - Lewis shares a fantastical, imaginative world where anything can happen!

 Not every book has a Mad Hatter and a hookah-smoking caterpillar.

Little Women by Louisa May Alcott
The simple heartwarming story of Amy, Jo, Meg and Beth and their beloved Marmee.  The March girls deal with love, loss and the bonds of family.  The movie version is well done and worth watching.

Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
Weighing in at over 1,000 pages, this is a novel to lose yourself in.  Scarlett is beguiling and infuriating.  Rhett is charming and complex.  This book is filled with an unforgettable cast of characters.  The movie is incredible but the book is much better and more well-developed.

Okay, I've shared with you some of my literary finds.  I would love to hear from you.  What are you reading?

By the way, if you are looking for a baby gift, or a beautiful book for your own children, check out the new book by my friend Marla, "Just Like You - Beautiful Babies Around the World".  It is so sweet and the illustrations are stunning!


Note:  Several of you have expressed frustration at the difficulty of leaving comments on posts.  I think it's a blogspot thing.  If you don't have a Google Reader account, leave your comment as Anonymous and just share your name or initials at the end of the post.  Leave your email address if you want a response.  Thanks!

6 comments:

  1. I've recently finished reading "The Knitting Circle" by Ann Hood. Sounds a bit like the book you are reading....and I did pick up my knitting needles.

    Now I'm reading "My Life in France" by Julia Child. Her passion for cooking and the very simplest things in life, as well as the deep love for her beloved husband is poignant and touching by this woman who was quite private to the public eye. Makes me want to take cooking lessons.

    Two of my absolute favorites:
    In The Company of Women
    The Red Tent

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! I think my mom has The Red Tent. It sounds familiar. Would love the Julia Child book!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You can have the Julia Child book when I'm finished with it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Abba's Child by Brennan Manning
    Book about just how much God loves you. I know its not a book to get lost in but its one of my favorites.

    The Dark Tower series by Stephen King
    I know Stephen King, No thanks. Then I read the first book and I was hooked. Nice adventure book for the adults

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cyndee, I'll trade you for something I'm reading when you're done!

    D. Or, Quite a broad spectrum of reading. I do have to say, Stephen King wrote a book called On Writing: A Memoir of the Craft. It is one of the best books about writing that I have ever read. I need to find it and read it again!

    ReplyDelete
  6. D. Or - I loved Abba's Child!!
    And have read my share of Stephen King

    Karen - Another great one is "The Women We Become" by Ann Thomas.

    I have also always been fascinated by high altitude mountain climbing - I get altitude sickness about 12,000 feet so I live vicariously through the stories of others' adventures. One I really loved was "Savage Summit" about the first 5 women to summit K2. And Ed Viesturs' "No Shortcuts to the Top".

    ReplyDelete