Saturday, May 15, 2010

Banana Bundt Bread


I have been listing vintage recipe books in my ebay and etsy stores and it inspired me to share with you one of my family's favorite recipes that I just baked fresh today! I am NO great cook, my husband is the chef in our family, but I do like to bake now and then - not too often, or I would eat it all!

I think my sister and I begged this recipe off of Linde many years ago, but I'm not sure where it came from. Anyway, she is getting credit. I made one slight adjustment to the original recipe, substituting half of the oil for applesauce to make it lighter. It tastes great either way.




BANANA BUNDT BREAD

1 1/2 c. sugar
1/2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. baking soda
2 c. flour
1/2 c. chopped nuts (optional)
3 ripe, mashed bananas
1 tsp. vanilla (I LOVE Mexican vanilla!)
2 eggs
1/2 c. canola or vegtable oil
1/2 c. applesauce

Grease and flour a bundt pan. Preheat oven to 325 degrees.

Combine the first five dry ingredients. Add the remaining ingredients. Mix until well blended. Cook in 325 degree oven for 1 hour or until toothpick comes out clean. Allow to cool for 5-10 minutes before turning out onto a plate.




SO simple - and your family will love it! A few extra tips - the riper the bananas, the better. The flavor intensifies. You can store them in your freezer until you have three ripe ones, or you're ready to bake. Just thaw, peel and mash!

Also, I add walnuts and, as far as my dad is concerned, the more the better. I often add a full cup of chopped nuts instead of 1/2 cup. I also make this recipe without.

This bread freezes well and stays moist for days.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment