Friday, May 14, 2010

Mother's Week

On Monday my daughter gave me a kiss and wished me "Happy Mother's Day!" again. I suggested to her that maybe we needed to make it Mother's Week instead. I think I could get some steam going on this. There may be a few other moms out there who would agree. I don't know who makes the final decision on these things, but it's worth looking into.

In honor of Mother's Week I would like to tell you about Jenny and Pearl and a few moms that have influenced my life.


Jenny was my paternal grandmother. Her given name was Sarah Jane but she was 'Jenny' to my grandpa and those that knew her best. She was, at times, a milliner, a preacher, a mother, grandmother and so much more. She had a wonderful sense of humor with a twinkle in her eye, even after she became blind.



Pearl is the translation of my maternal grandmother's name 'Helmi'. She was a Finnish woman who baked the most delicious 'pulla' (sweet cardamom bread), was a prayer warrior and a pillar of her church.

I have chosen to name my site after these two women because I strive to be like them. I know they dealt with illness, disappointment, death and tragedy, but their faith remained strong. Neither of them are with us anymore, but their legacy lives on through their children, their grandchildren and even great-grandchildren.

I am blessed to have this kind of legacy.

There are a few other women I am thinking of as Mother's Week draws to a close. These are just a few

My mom - a prayer warrior like her mother before her. I know she is always there for me!

My mother-in-law - she exemplifies 'grace under pressure' and is someone I have grown to love and admire more with every passing year.

My sister and sister-in-laws - when I think of all the heartache, illness and 'LIFE' that they have had to deal with and how gracefully they have done it - I am challenged to 'keep the faith'!

My Aunt Pauline - her passing this year left another little hole in my heart that will not be filled until we get to heaven.

So... as Mother's Week draws to a close (I feel this catching on already!), take the time to thank all the women in your life who have impacted you and determine to BE that kind of woman (or man) - one who 'keeps the faith' whatever life throws your way!


"You know that under pressure, your faith-life is forced into the open and shows its true colors."
James 1:3

2 comments:

  1. Hello Karen
    Greetings from Toronto.
    Visited with your parents this past week end and very happy to see "old friends" again.
    Thank you for sharing your journey, very well done, and this must be a form of therapy for you.
    We certainly will be praying for you and your family.
    Blessings to you,
    Fred, Shirley and Karen Allin

    f.allin@sympatico.ca

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Allin Family! Love to you all!

    ReplyDelete