Thursday, May 20, 2010

Coffee First!

 

Coffee is the elixir of life.

Okay, so you get the point, I like coffee. But there is more to the 'Coffee First' mindset than just java. The phrase came from my a dear friend of my mother. She is Finnish and as a good Finn, liked her coffee. The Finns have the highest per capita coffee consumption of ANY country in the world - they are #1. The United States, by comparison is a lowly #26.


In Finnish it's "kahvi ensimmäinen" - coffee first (hope I got the right translation). My mother said her dear friend Mrs. Lindholm was fond of this phrase. I am half Finnish so I feel it is my ethnic duty! What it REALLY means is, let's stop for a minute and visit. Let's take time out of our busy day to spend time with each other. Everything else can wait.


I know that it seems unrealistic in our busy, hectic lives to say "coffee first". But I tried it today. I met some friends at Panera (sorry Nat and Adrian - Peet's is still my fav!) and came home refreshed and ready to tackle the rest of the day.

Facebook is fine, texting is good, tweeting and email connect us to a degree, but nothing compares to sitting in the company of friends, laughing, sharing, eating and drinking, and sometimes even crying.




Take the time to call someone you have been meaning to meet and if you can't think of anybody to call - I'm always ready for a cup of Joe!



"But if we love one another, God dwells deeply within us, and his love becomes complete in us—perfect love!" 1 John 4:12 The Message

2 comments:

  1. I found myself logging on just one last time yesterday evening just after 10pm to check if you had blogged yet for the day! Nothing yet. So I wait until morning... I look forward and anticipate your daily entry! I am so inspired by your writings, Karen! You say so many things that my heart feels, but I, don't know how to express myself! Thank you for your candidness, your honesty, and love that you share! My spirit is always lifted as I conclude reading the verse of the day! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! Thanks for the kind words. It is my pleasure!

    ReplyDelete