Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Real Housewives of Orange County

Housewife

I have been reading the book 'Dangerous Surrender' by Kay Warren with my Girls Book Club. It is not an easy read. The words and the book itself aren't that difficult, but Kay challenges us to look beyond ourselves and our needs to a sick and dying world. Not only to see what is going on around us but DO something about it. I have to admit, there are times I am ready to say 'forget it, I'm busy enough and don't need the challenge', but I am drawn in and keep reading through my discomfort.

In the 5th chapter she presents especially difficult world issues that she wants us to think about - HIV/AIDS, genocide, world hunger,sex slavery and more. Like I said, this book is not for the faint of heart.

Raped And Infected With AIDS A Young Mother Seeks Justice

So, what does this have to do with The Real Housewives of Orange County? Well, I AM one of those Real Housewives and so is Kay, both of us living here in affluent Orange County. The glossy image that is portrayed on television of pampered, self-indulgent women is certainly one that exists, but it is not, by far a 'true' picture.

Real Housewives struggle to make ends meet.

Real Housewives carpool to school, Little League and recitals.

Real Housewives spend more time at Target and Costco than at the mall.

Real Housewives work hard to juggle home, work, children and relationships.

Real Housewives garden, cook, laugh, play, cry, dance, mourn, and pray.

This Real Housewife has been challenged - to go beyond the everyday scope of my life and ask "what can I do to help a world in need?" It isn't easy but I'm starting to think more outside of my little bubble and allow God to show me what this Real Housewife can do!



'I was hungry and you fed me,
I was thirsty and you gave me a drink,
I was homeless and you gave me a room,
I was shivering and you gave me clothes,
I was sick and you stopped to visit,
I was in prison and you came to me.'

Matthew 25:35-36 The Message

4 comments:

  1. Thank you for posting this! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are welcome. Feel free to forward it.
    You should read the book!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love it. Oh what we can do when God inspires and we open our hearts and hands to those in need! Looking forward to seeing where God leads you.

    -Tina

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks T! You inspire me with your life.

    ReplyDelete