Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Cinnamon Sugar Almonds


Warning!  Read the following out loud before attempting this recipe.

  1. I am aware that these are highly addictive.  I know my own limitations and I do NOT hold Jenny and Pearl and affiliates responsible for late-night cravings that will ensue.
  2. I realize it is not advisable to make a small batch.
  3. I agree that it is cruel and unkind if I do not share these with others.
If you are agree with the aforementioned statements, you may proceed.

This is a step-by-step recipe for cinnamon sugar almonds.  This version is from allrecipes.com.  You can link to their highlighted site here for a printable copy.


If you want the best and freshest almonds at a great price, you can order them from our friends at Alldrin Brothers Almonds.  They are the only almonds I use!

Assemble these ingredients.  This is for a single batch, but I am making a double batch in the pictures, because I know I can't share a single batch.


1 egg white
1 tsp vanilla (did I mention, I like Mexican vanilla?)
4 c whole almonds (not roasted or salted, silly - we're doing that now!)
1/2 c white sugar
1/2 c brown sugar
1/2 tsp salt
2 tsp ground cinnamon



1.  Preheat oven to 250 degrees F (120 degrees C).  Lightly grease a 10 x 15 jellyroll pan (what the heck is a jellyroll pan?  Cookie sheets are fine.)
Note:  You can use that spray stuff, but I use butter because "butter is better".  Repeat that 3 times and proceed.

 Temperature is very important.  For best crunch it's 'low and slow'.

2.  Lightly beat the egg white; add vanilla, and beat until frothy but not stiff.

This is frothy, but not stiff.  Lots of bubbles, but no peaks.

3.  Add the nuts, and stir until well coated.

4.  Mix the sugars, salt and cinnamon, and sprinkle over the nuts.

 (If you are like me, you will add a smidge more cinnamon.  I like things extra cinnamony.)  Toss to coat, and spread evenly on the prepared pan. (or pans, as the case may be).


Don't scrunch all the almonds together.  Spreading them out toasts them better.

This next part is the hardest part!  While they are baking in the oven for an eternal 75 minutes, you house will be filled with the sweet smell of cinnamon and sugar.  Don't take them out too early, or they will not develop the right crunchy coating.

5.  Bake for 1 hour 15 minutes in the preheated oven, stirring occasionally, until golden.  Allow to cool before storing in airtight containers.

Although they  need to cool before storing, they do not need to cool before eating.  These taste best warm.

I dare you to eat just one!

1 comment:

  1. We went to a Winter Festival last year and a vendor had these Bavarian Cinnamon Almonds that were out of this world!!!! From the pic's in your blog, the almonds look the same as what I had. I am hoping it is because I can't wait until Christmas to get these nuts again!!! Can't wait to try this recipe this week. I'll let you know how they came out.

    ReplyDelete