Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Percolating

For some time now I have had this idea brewing in my head.  It's been percolating (I know, another coffee reference - I can't help it) and I keep trying to ignore it or push it down, but it keeps popping back up.  The reasons I have been ignoring this idea are three-fold,

1.  I don't really know how to go about implementing this 'thing'.
2.  Somebody else can do it (lazy, huh?)
3.  I don't feel qualified.

Okay, so now you're curious, right (if not, just nod your head anyway).  It all has to do with the men in my life, primarily my husband and my son.

 Aren't they handsome?  Yes, there is a boy under that hair!

They both have ADD or Attention Deficit Disorder.  For those of you who do not have someone in your life dealing with ADD/ADHD, it is difficult to explain how this affects a family.

Don't get me wrong.  It is not all negative.  ADDers (as they are called) are often compassionate, creative, fun, resilient and more.

It's the down-side, however that can be a challenge to live with at times (it's okay, I have my husband's permission to be writing about this).  Some of the down-sides of having ADD are inattention, impulsivity, sleep disorders, learning disabilities and more.

As you can imagine, these things affect not only the ADDer, but the whole family.  This brings me to this idea that I mentioned.  I have encountered, over the past few years, countless women (sorry guys, I'm a girl, so that's who I'm dealing with here), who are the spouse or parent of these wonderful people.  It isn't something that just pops up in your first conversation, but as I have become closer with women, and observed their family dynamics, it is clear that there is a need for mutual support.

So, I have spoken with a couple of dear friends who have agreed with me.  Let's do this thing.  We are starting up a support group for women.  We are expanding this to include, Aspergers, autism, bi-polar, or any other challenges that you may feel qualify you in need of this support.  So often these conditions are co-morbid (meaning, they are simultaneous) with an ADD/ADHD prognosis.

My friends and I are not doctors, therapists, psychologists or any other 'ists'.  We are caring Christian women who want to offer encouragement and support to others, and receive the same, over a cup of coffee (of course!)



If you live in Orange County and this sounds like the kind of group you could use, email me karen@lightstone.tv and I will give you the info about where and when we are meeting.  For those of you who don't live in Southern California, but still feel you need support and encouragement, send me your email address and, as we share resources and links, I can forward them to you.

I am excited about this new venture and can't wait to see how God will use us to uplift one another!

"So speak encouraging words to one another. Build up hope so you'll all be together in this, no one left out, no one left behind. I know you're already doing this; just keep on doing it. "
I Thessalonians 5:11 (The Message)

7 comments:

  1. I am a mother to a wonderful son Luke who has Asperberg's Syndrome. While not in the category of being hyperactive - he does have his challenges with attention deficits and consequently a myriad of learning disabilities. He is a kind, gentle and loving son and I am so proud of him. I think the thing that touches my mother's heart first and foremost is the fact that I was given the privilege of bringing this wonderful life into this world. And while not what I expected for my child a dear friend reminded me one day "God has a purpose and a place for Luke." I love the fact that God doesn't forget any of us! I am constantly amazed as I watch Luke grow into a young man and how he faces his challenges head on and with great determination.

    As Karen so eloquently said above, I too have felt the need for support and encouragement. So what could be better than friends, coffee, resources and encouragement!?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shoot! I want to live in Orange County...so not fair! I am certainly in need of support and would absolutely LOVE this! I guess I'll have to be apart of it via email...not quite the same but better than nothing. I'm the mom of a son with autism - not quite the same as ADD but hey, challenges are challenges. I just love to see women supporting each other.....this is a great thing Karen.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Maybe they could do a webcam/skype session for those who don't live in the area.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nadine...I wish you lived in Orange County too. We will definitely keep you connected!
    Daniel...you're my techie. You can help me set that up!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi, My name is Theresa and I have three children with add/adhd. I am very blessed and they are wonderful, but life can be challenging. A friend sent me this link and she is a true answer to prayer. I thank you for doing this it is a wonderful idea. When and were do you meet? Thanks again for doing this.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Theresa, I am SO happy we connected. Email me at karen@lightstone.tv and I will give you the particulars. I can't wait to meet you!

    ReplyDelete